Here's some advice how to take care of a bedridden person's personal hygiene:
- Make sure you have all necessary items on hand before you begin.
- Protect the bed with a special hygienic underpad before attempting to carry out a sponge bath.
- Start the bath by washing the face, ears, and neck. Proceed to washing the arms and torso. Carefully dry the parts you have washed. Do not rub the skin with a towel; instead, pat the skin dry.
- Turn the person to one side to wash their back.
- Take care to clean between the toes when washing the feet. Remember to dry them.
- After washing the body, apply moisturizing body lotion.
- Take care of areas exposed to chafing and bedsores by using special body care creams.
- Remember to brush their teeth/dentures often and comb their hair at least once a day.
- Change their clothing and bedding as often as necessary to avoid exposing them to wetness.
Remember that the skin condition of your loved one mainly depends on the care you provide. Look after their skin with careful hygiene and the use of skin care products designed for that purpose. This will save the bedridden person a lot of suffering and help you avoid extra work.