There is a time in many a man’s life when a lot changes. The body gradually refuses to obey and men may start to experience appetite disorders, mood swings, problems with sleeping, etc. If these symptoms happen, it might be andropause.
What is andropause?
Andropause is a gradual process that can take many years to happen. It doesn’t affect every man, however the number of men affected by this condition increases with age.
The average age when this condition starts is about 40-55 and its course may be different depending on many factors. It is connected with androgen deficiency, or the reduction of testosterone production. Testosterone is responsible for many metabolic processes in a man’s body. A man is not given a clear signal that he is starting to experience andropause, so many men ignore their worsened general condition caused by this change.
The most common andropause symptoms:
- loss of muscle mass / increase of body fat (especially in the abdomen)
- general body weakness
- lowered self esteem and enthusiasm
- increased irritability
- pain disorders
- problems with memory and concentration
- increased perspiration
- arterial hypertension
- hair loss
- increased sensitivity to cold
- prostate problems
- low sex drive.
Whether a man will experience these andropause symptoms or not is determined by several factors. Genetic predisposition is believed to be the main factor, however lifestyle, diet, and physical activity also play a significant role.
As far as menopause in women means the loss of reproductive functions, andropause causes only their impairment. All of the remaining symptoms may significantly lower the quality of one’s life. This is why it is worth to see a doctor, who will carry out the diagnostics and help finding an adequate treatment, which can help successfully lessen the symptoms of ageing. When diagnosing andropause, many factors are taken into consideration. These factors are mostly a man’s physical and psychological condition and hormonal balance. The initial diagnosis is carried out based on the Morley questionnaire (aka ADAM - Androgen Deficiency in the Aging Male). Andropause is suspected when the answer to 3 or more questions is positive.
Symptoms may significantly lower the quality of one’s life, which is why it’s important to see a doctor. They will carry out the diagnostics and help find an adequate treatment that can help.
How you Can Help Yourself
- Remember that it is mainly up to you to decide what this phase of life will look like. Andropause can be managed and there are ways to make it easier to experience. See a doctor when you start to experience andropause symptoms and don’t be afraid to ask questions. The doctor will try to remove all your doubts and advise you on the best form of treatment to ease your ailments.
- Have your prostate examined - early diagnosis of prostate enlargement will make it easier to treat.
- If you experience urinary incontinence, ask your doctor for advice. It may be that urine loss is a signal of serious changes in your body. The faster you react, the faster you will be able to get rid of the problem. If you experience urine loss, use Seni Man bladder control guards to protect your underwear.
- Keep a healthy diet rich in vitamin C and folic acid. These nutrients will help you maintain proper testosterone level. A proper diet will help you avoid gaining weight.
- Remember your body’s increased demand for calcium and vitamin D. If your diet is poor in these nutrients, you should take supplements.
- Increase your physical activity. Research shows that even moderate physical activity increases the level of testosterone in your blood. Exercise even increases the production of endorphins, so you can get fit and improve your mood.
- Go bowling, see a movie, or go out with your friends. This kind of activity will lift your mood and make you feel better.
- Focus on yourself. This is a time when you can focus on your own needs, rediscover your partner or yourself, and follow your passions.
- If you are a smoker – why not to quit the habit? After just a few weeks without a cigarette you will feel much better and will be able to breathe deeper.